I required to get the Wanderer over to Forrestville so that Mark and the team at Safety Service Centre might pull the engine and gearbox. After finding a pallet that they might put it on as soon as out of the car, I called around for a pulling company to throw it on a flat bed and get it there. Now good sense should have prevailed - I had actually utilized Bakker Towing from Mona Vale to get it from Mascot and had absolutely nothing however pleasing results but for some silly factor that even I couldn't discuss I decided to get a number of competitive quotes. Another local mob was available in slightly less expensive, saving me about the cost of a Corona beer down at the local so I opted for them.
You understand the story. Pick up at 10 in the morning. Telephone call at ten thirty stating we are a little late, ought to be there in fifteen minutes. At 10 to twelve I call them to be told the towie is stuck at Palm Beach. Another twenty minute goes by and another truck lastly shows up. We turn up at Forrestville 3 hours late and I have actually just blown off the entire day for the cost of a beer. I do not understand the number of times I have actually decided on rate and after that in hindsight ask myself what was I believing. In future I'll simply call Bakker Towing as I know I won't get dicked around by them.
Anyways, my stupidity aside, the team at Safety Service Centre had the engine and gearbox out without any fuss and when I fronted the following day it was sitting on the pallet awaiting pickup by the successful eBay bidder. Mark was kind sufficient to let me keep the engine there over night as we needed his engine lift to fill it into a trailer the following day. The Nomad now looked a few inches higher in the front end as it sat there engine less and looking a little desolate.
With the engine out it was time to rip into deconstruction. Initially on the list were the mouldings and chrome and to make it simpler on me I chose to have two different piles - one for chrome pieces and the other for all the mouldings. One of the important things I enjoy about old vehicles is the shiny stuff. , if you look at contemporary cars rather a few have no bright work on them at all.. A 57 Chevy Wanderer has a lot however it wasn't until I was pulling them off that I began understand simply just how much there was. I may need to take a 2nd home mortgage on the house simply to get these trim pieces appearing like brand-new again and the particular stacks kept growing as the pieces came off.
As usual, some fully cooperated and almost fell off in my hands as I touched them. Then there were the pieces that in spite of my best shots and all good manners of persuasion weren't going anywhere. You might be a little bit more aggressive with the chrome things, especially the bumpers as the robust nature of these pieces could be leaned on a little harder. The mouldings are extremely fine and made of alloy, dent genuine simple and it was absolutely worth putting in the time required to get them off without making a meal of them.
In the western suburban areas of Sydney is a company called Moulding Fixes and Polishing who are craftsmens and will restore your mouldings, hubcaps and cut to as brand-new condition. My intention is as soon as all the pieces are off I will take them out to Kingswood and have Allan McCoy and his group work their magic on them. They don't do chroming, so the chrome stuff will be sent out elsewhere. The stacks grew bigger and covered the workbench, half the floor and the tops of a few boxes in the garage. After 2 days I had all the bits that I could get off littered around the garage. The only bits that were left were the tailgate button which I needed undamaged to be able to drop the tailgate and all the chrome trim around the curved windows that I didn't know how to remove and decided to leave for the experts.
One interesting sidebar with doing all this yourself is you get a gratitude for what has transpired in the past. Clearly someone had actually taken the bumpers off in the past and rather than getting a bumper bolt replacement set they had actually scrounged up any bolt and nut that fit and fitted through the holes and tossed them in. 3 bolts were the exact same, I suspect initial and the rest were a canines breakfast. Some had actually rusted solid, Tow Chandler others were burred, two of them could not be fully done up as the threads vanished in a despair of rust and mashed metal. It wasn't boding well for what else I might discover during deconstruction ... Successive are the panels, what is left of the interior and the supplementary bits in the engine compartment that will not be required in the future. See this space.